Thursday, February 14, 2008

Read the Label!


Happy Valentines Day. Well, I'm not much for Valentine's Day in general so I'm not awfully disappointed in today or anything, but it has been interesting to say the least. I think my favorite Valentine's Day was many years ago when my Mom bought me and my brothers a plastic hockey game (kind of like foosball, but on the ground and hockey). We played that game so much!

I have been sick and I woke up this morning with a really bad cough. So I went to the store to get cough medicine and waited in line behind all the men who woke up this morning realizing they needed to go get some flowers, candy, or perhaps a life-sized white stuffed bear and black balloons? I got home and was still coughing pretty badly so I wanted some medicine, quick! I opened the package, took the little cup that is provided, filled it to the brim, and drank it down. I then looked at the measurement for the cup and it said 4 tsps. I looked down at the box and it said the dosage is 2 tsps. Ooops! Four hours of extra sleeping and another 4 hours later, and let's just say I'm still kind of dizzy. My cough went away though :) !

One thing that I'm keeping in mind is that God is a relational God. The purpose of Valentine's is not as so many Americans gravitate towards, about spending money, greasing the wheels on the capitalistic machine; it should be about relationships. God is relational. We were created to have fellowship with Him and to enjoy Him in relationship. Sin created conflict in that relationship, distance. God sent the perfect sacrifice, Jesus Christ, to bring reconciliation and restoration of our relationship with Him. Sin still creates conflicts in our relationship with God. We hurt God's feelings when we sin, when we choose our sin over God in a rip-off exchange (see Rom. 1). The Christian life is not necessarily about growing into a 'better person' - "Be your best You", but that is a result which comes from growing in relationship with our Heavenly Father. We become different, better, more holy as we cling closer to the holiest, the best, the most distinct being there is, God.

Let's remember the relationship and not get distracted by all the fluff that is constantly surrounding us.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Je suis d'accord.

That means, "I agree".

It was fun seeing you all drugged up, as bad as I might have felt for you at the time.