We are resting as the branches of the vine of Christ. Apart from the vine, we can do NOTHING! Therefore, prayer, trust, and daily abiding in Christ is essential not only for trips like these but even for daily life. I highly encourage you to pray for us, because we are lost without it (John 15:5).
Please pray each day for our team:
- Humble attitudes and servant hearts
- Respect of culture
- Joyful spirit content in all things
- Submission to authority (Jill, Ben, Shanda, etc.)
- Grace in dealing with heat & insects
- That we could be true examples of the Christian walk – that the Kenyans may see our dedication and love for Christ, but also our faults and daily need of Him.
- HEALTH – big one.
- Flexibility – this trip is all planned out, but it could all change and turn on a dime as it already has once.
- Final team meeting on May 31 with Dennis (
field director) and Allison (Dennis’ fiancée). Kenya
- Kate, Carmie, Rachel, & Landon’s passports to come through. Possible trip to
– June 1st for re-application. Houston
- Our team’s Creativity & the Holy Spirit in preparing for the leading of devotionals, church times, and a chapel service.
- Small gifts to Kenyans will be chosen wisely and used to encourage, show love, and edify the college leaders we will be working with.
- Spiritual, physical, mental readiness for the team.
- Pray for Dennis & Allison as they prepare for their wedding in
June 5th – June 7th (morning)
- Safety in travels
- Patience with 4 planes & over 14 hrs of layover.
- Use the time wisely for team building and more prep. for the time in
- Pray for Moses – my Kenyan ministry partner. That I may teach him in Bible study, leadership, and what he needs most.
June 7th (afternoon) – 8th
· Become well-rested in
· Sharpness & Organization in planning and gathering of supplies before we go to the Word of Life camp
· Pray for Jill as she guides us in all the aspects and logistics of this trip.
· Pray for Landon meeting with Martin. That Martin might learn what he needs most from Landon.
Saturday June 9th
- Safety in traveling 30 miles to Ukunda (roads are really bad in
- First meeting of Kenyan College Leaders – pray for energy, joy, and excitement to build the relationships with our two teams
- For the Word of Life Staff – be a blessing to them and an example of Jesus Christ.
- Pray for Anthony meeting with Ivan. That Ivan might learn what he needs most from Anthony.
June 10th – 17th
- Every day, 9AM-1PM: Discipleship times with ministry partners. Pray for love, relationship building, use of curriculum, and discernment on the most important things to talk about
- Every day, : Ministry / work projects in the Word of Life camp or Ukunda village. Pray for servant hearts and strong role modeling of the Christian life as seen in service and giving.
- Every day: That the Holy Spirit would impart the vision of discipleship, evangelism, holiness, the reading and studying of the Word of God, prayer, fellowship, accountability, and service as essential parts of the Christian life to these Kenyan leaders and all the Word of Life staff and people of Ukunda as well as Mombasa.
Monday June 11th
- Work project at Word of Life – manual labor on the 11th, 12th, & 14th – pray for safety and to be a help to the camp
- Pray for Carmie meeting with Betty. That Betty might learn what she needs most from Carmie.
Tuesday June 12th
- Our team led devotionals for the Word of Life staff & Kenyan college leaders on the 12th, 13th, and 14th – to effectively encourage and edify those around us
- Pray for Laci meeting with Jackie. That Jackie might learn what she needs most from Laci.
Wednesday June 13th (Ben’s birthday)
- Visit of elementary school in Ukunda – the gospel could be shared with emphasis on growth in Christ and the personal relationship with God. Be an example of loving evangelism for our partners.
- Pray for Kate meeting with
. That Lynn might learn what she needs most from Kate. Lynn
Thursday June 14th
- Traditionally someone gets sick while in
– pray for health for my team members at this midway point. Kenya
- Pray for Rachel meeting with Sylvia. That Sylvia might learn what she needs most from Rachel.
Friday June 15th
- Morning Chapel service with 600 kids – the team will be doing some sort of skit or devotional
- Evening “Youth Worker’s Fellowship” – the team will also be leading in this time. Pray for preparedness and the Spirit’s leading to say or do what GOD wants to be said or done and not our own thoughts, words, or desires.
- Pray for Shanda meeting with Kenalyn. That Kenalyn might learn what she needs most from Shanda.
Saturday June 16th
- Visitation of Word of Life staff members living in Ukunda and evangelism in their neighborhoods. Encouragement, effective gospel presentations, and modeling evangelism to ministry partners.
Sunday June 17th
- Presentation at church service: skit, song, or devotional.
- Goodbyes to our new Kenyan friends and ministry partners: Pray that both the Kenyans and Americans will remember one another by their mutual love for Christ and that there would be exponential impact that occurs in all our lives after having met, served, and learned from one another.
- Travel back to
after church Mombasa
June 18th – 21st
- Debrief time for team. This is still ministry time for Shanda and I; pray that we would effectively lead our team to think for themselves and to remember the things God has taught them through this trip.
- Pray for the lives of the team members to be forever changed having seen God acting in another part of the world
- Pray for direction and future involvement in foreign and local missions
- Pray that their hearts would be forever bound to Christ and their passion and vision would forever be grounded in evangelism and DISCIPLESHIP.
June 22nd – 24th
- Safety in travels home
- Patience with 4 planes and over 15 hours of layover.
- Pray for God to raise up full time missionaries for
Kenyato join the Denton Bible team in . Mombasa