Saturday, February 2, 2008

February


This update includes:
  • Missions Training semester commenced
  • Joy of 1-1 Discipleship
  • Denton Community Internship
  • Praying for Peace in Kenya

Missions Training
I was very happy this week to begin my new semester of Missions Training. Mondays we will be studying Case Studies and problem-solving skills so that we can be better equipped to make decisions on the field, and Old Testament Exegesis where we will learn the best way to study, analyze, and interpret narrative, poetry, and prophecy. Wednesdays and Fridays we are studying Christian Doctrine: mostly we will be studying man, salvation, sanctification, and end times; the second class period is over Ecclesiology, the study of the church, what it is and its purpose in the world (I Peter 2:9). If you ever want to talk about any of these areas, I'm happy to discuss them with you. It actually solidifies what I'm learning when I get to have conversations about these things.
PRAY: Titus 1:1 - "Paul a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, for the sake of the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth, which accords with godliness." Please pray that as I study in MTI, the knowledge of the truth will sink into my heart and will make me a godlier person as the Holy Spirit applies the truth into action.
Discipleship
The joy of one-on-one discipleship is something that I can't get enough of. At the beginning of the new semester, I've been able to re-connect with many of the guys that I have discipled in the past and connect with some new guys also. I have learned over the last few years that through life-on-life discipleship, modeling, teaching, leading, and shepherding, every single believer can impact the world. Those who are faithful to take what they have learned and invest it in other people can influence generations for Christ whether they see it or not. I am very pleased to have the time and flexibility in my schedule to take part in the things that I desire to do in Kenya, right here in Denton as I continue my training.
PRAY: for the current ministry and preparation for future ministry - all this training has one goal, to make disciples according to the Great Commission of Jesus Christ.
Denton Community Church Internship
I have started working with Denton Community Church. Thus far, I have mostly been spending time with the pastor, Bryan Collins, and the worship pastor, Dustin McCarty, and helping out a little bit with the preparation of study guides for the church at home groups. I am very excited about the opportunity to preach this month at the church. This is something that I need to become experienced in because I will be doing a lot of this in Kenya, either planned or on the spot.
PRAY: For the sermon preparation this month and that I would be able to both LEARN from the church and SERVE the church in a mutually beneficial way.
Continue to pray for Kenya
The state of Kenya is still really bad. Killings have increased and no political resolution has come. Please continue to pray for peace, justice, and unity for the Kenyan people. Click here for article on the very recent violence in Western Kenya.
PRAY: Peace and unity in Kenya between politicians, tribes, Christians, and countrymen. Pray that Kenyan Christians would see the current crisis as an opportunity to share their faith.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for praying!

No comments: