Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Malaria, Initiation to African Mission Work

Some would say that during this month, I have been initiated into African missionary work. Malaria. Praise the Lord, that he preserved me from this sickness until after my trip to Kenya for the BTCP graduation and a wonderfully encouraging time with John Brown, one of the missions staff with Denton Bible, and Alan Chamberlain, a Denton Bible elder. God knew that I needed that time in so many ways. Two days after returning to Morogoro, malaria kicked in. I'm glad for the experience in many ways, although I do not want to repeat it. The unknown is usually more scary than something you've already experienced. Now I know what it's like (the vomiting, the aching, the fever, the extreme weakness), and I no longer need to fear it :). I thought it was funny that on the fifth day after I had completed my medicine and was feeling better that I tried to sweep my room and had to take a break in the middle of it because I was too tired! My room is seriously very small. After about a week I was fully recovered and getting back into Swahili. Praise the Lord for my new friends here who took very good care of me.

3 comments:

cindy metcalf said...

Oh Ben, I am very sorry, it's bad enough to get tired from sweeping..but a tiny room no less. Bless your heart friend!

micah said...

Ben. You are now a true African missionary. Quite an initiation!

Melissa Rowe Smith said...

Ben,

I am just now reading this, and hoping there is another update just over the horizon or in a few moons? I probably didn't use that right.

Anyways, we (as in Joshua & I) are praying for you, that you might grasp how wide, high, and deep God's love is for you, and that likewise we pray that your response would be a heart that abounds more and more in love and adoration for Christ.

Miss you!!