Sunday, September 20, 2009

Week 1 out of...oh wait, I live here now!

I wrote this last week and have just got to internet to post it. It's a bit outdated, but it'll do:

Well, I am here in Kenya now. I hope to send this off before we travel up country to Nakuru, north of Nairobi. Chris Cobble, Jerry & Linda Clark, and Janis Seville from Denton Bible Church came on the 11th so it has been busy and will be busy until the 19th. This is probably good for me because I have had a very difficult time since last Saturday when I left my family. Leaving them turned out to be SO much more emotional than I thought it would be. Having Dustin Moore travel with me helped a lot.
Once I arrived it was even more overwhelming. "Can I make my life here? What have I done? What has God done?" There has simply been way too many things happening at once and I've been extremely overwhelmed by everything that I suddenly own here. Some people describe it like you become a two year old again and you have no idea how to do anything anymore. Culture shock, plus jetlag, plus emotion of leaving = overwhelmed.

Friday was a very encouraging day. We went back to Ujamaa where I taught church history last summer. We spent the whole day there at a BTCP Alumni conference where there were about 20 alumni from the area that gathered for some teaching and fellowship. I got to see some of my old students and enjoy their greetings. When we began, we sang a couple of swahili songs - no instruments, just voices and clapping. Hearing the pastors sing praises to our God in Swahili reminded me of why I came. I did not come because I thought it was better to live my life in Kenya than America. I came for the people. I came for the believers who need teaching, encouragement, and discipleship.

Thank you for your prayers. I sent a few emails out describing how I was feeling on Thursday, and I believe God is answering many of them through this small encouraging moment on Friday and others. There are many months ahead of adjustment, culture shock, and emotional breakdowns. But I had a good day, and I am thankful for it.

2 comments:

Melissa Rowe said...

Ben, we are so glad to hear that prayers have been answered, and we know full well they will continue to be.

We were reading last night 2 Chronicles 20:6-19 (the whole chapter is great too) and it made me think of all our missionary friends. Read it on your own, but here is a little snip-bit.

"'If disaster comes upon us, the sword, judgement, or pestilence, or famine, we will stand before this house and before you--for your name is in this house--and cry out to you in our affliction and you will hear and save...We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you." vs. 9 & 12b

May He continue to be your Victory even as the battle wages on.

Ben Warren said...

Thanks Mel. That's encouraging. I will take a look at that. Thanks so much for praying.